Sunday 22 January 2012

"Through a Rapist's Eyes”

I read an interesting journal about how women can protect themselves from physical assaults. It was interesting to say the least that it even have to be considered (though I must admit I live in a rather peaceful area in the UK). I eventually came across a link to a page that mentioned the qualities rapists look for.
It was convincing and almost believable until I found another site that stated it was mostly false, and has been since 2001.

So below I have two samples of either set of statements- 'Through a Rapist's Eyes' is the false, 'Assaulted Tale' is the uncovering of the false. I cannot say for sure the later is completely true either, but I feel it takes a much more cautious attitude towards the topic- and well..."better being safe, than dead" right?
"THROUGH A RAPIST’S EYES”  Do not re-blog this.
  
'1] The first thing men look for in a potential victim is hairstyle.
They are most likely to go after a woman with a ponytail, bun! , braid, or other hairstyle that can easily be grabbed. They are also likely to go after a woman with long hair. Women with short hair are not common targets....'

Assaulted Tale (aka This Bird Won't Fly)   Read: Response to the above
CLAIM: Heeding the advice given in popular email missive will keep you from becoming a rape victim. FALSE
........If rapists choose their victims based on hairstyle and length of tresses, it's news to those in law enforcement; they've never noticed this trend. Rape victims have short hair, long hair, and no hair. They're also young and old, short and tall, fat and skinny, femininely dressed or looking like they just fell off the tractor, and all points in between.............

This whole thing makes me consider my personal safety if I ever travel abraod, and contemplate going back to learning some martial arts. Even though I am merely 5" 2', some kind of defence is better than none.

Thought I would share this bit of an interesting read, especially for those keen to know more about protecting oneself against predators.

0 comments:

Post a Comment